Village of Grunishte (Mariovo) - Municipality of Novacii
Coordinates : 41.052745, 21.694911
The village of Grunicis is located on the right bank of the river Cerna, at an altitude of 742 m, 54 km from Bitola. During the First World War, near the village of Grunishte, there was the famous battle of Grunishki Vis.
Grunishki Vis was occupied by the Bulgarian army as a strategic location. Bulgarian soldiers built numerous trenches, machine-gun nests and trenches a few kilometres long. On the other side of the Front Line was the Serbian army. Serbian troops were composed of an order of 2,000 volunteer soldiers. These troops were led by the famous military leader Vojin Popovik.
Today, in the graveyard of the village of Grunishte, there are more than 50 graves of Serbian soldiers. Likewise, in the village there are about ten gravestones of Serbian soldiers.
In the middle of the cemetery lies Bulgarian General Kliment Dzerov, who died on 3 December 1916.
How to get to the Grunishte village:
The village Grunishte is 54 km from Bitola. 13 km are a dirt road. All-terrain vehicles are recommended.